Saturday, January 19, 2008

January 19, 2008

Date Night

Steve and I had a date night tonight. The kids sleep over at my parents' house every Saturday night. Steve decided we need to start taking advantage of it and actually going out every weekend instead of just sitting here at home, watching TV, and falling asleep like we normally do.

So tonight, we headed out to a local place for dinner. This restaurant is so cool. The food is good. Not mind blowing, but good. But the building itself is why I love it so much. It's HUGE. And since in this same immense building, they also have concerts (we've seen Rick Springfield there, Taylor Hicks, Kevin Sharp, a bunch of famous country artists, etc.), the restaurant is decorated with all sorts of cool musical memorabilia. Album covers, huge canvases of famous musicians, old license plates, old vinyl albums, etc.

The car with the restaurant's name was right above where we were sitting. I didn't want to look like a total dork, so I was taking pictures without my flash. LOL! So forgive any bad quality or graininess.

So that photo up there I'm considering my "official" photo for Project 365 today. But here's another one that I took across the room. Those are statues of the Blues Brothers up in one corner of the restaurant up near the ceiling. I LOVE the big pipes and beam work that run the length of the ceilings.

The Blues Brothers

(Oh, and a little trivia tidbit... When I first met Steve back in 1998, I met him in a bar. For our second "date," I spent the evening with him at this job site. He was pouring the 8 bazillion square feet of concrete for the floors of this building, and there I stood that Saturday night, holding a spotlight for him until midnight, while he finished the floor with his power screed. That was the night I first met his mom and step-dad. Who knew they'd be my in-laws one day. Awwww.... true love. LOL!)

10 comments:

LotoFoto said...

Cool story & photos.
And umm, what's a screed?? LOL

Tiffany said...

Cool pictures! What an awesome building!

Allison said...

LOL! Actually, I didn't mean screed... I meant power trowel. But since you asked...

A power screed is what is used to help level the concrete while it's still wet. You can do it by hand, but there are also mechanical ones (which Steve has), that can be used on big floors. The guy in the photo on the right-hand side at this site is using one: [url]http://www.toolsbytom.com/power-screed/faq.htm[/url]

I should've said Steve was using the power trowel. Again, something you can do by hand, or with a big ass mechanical one on bigger floors. The guy in the first floor is using one like Steve used that night on our date. LOL! [url]http://www.constructioncomplete.com/ConcreteMasonryEquipment/ConcretePowerTrowels.html[/url]

Renfield said...

What a cool building! I like the little tidbit about your 2nd date, too. Awwwwwwww.......=)

Emily said...

Aww....good story!

And that is a cool looking building.

LotoFoto said...

ok, so the links didn't work (damn powertool links LOL) but I can picture them... I really can ;)
Isn't it funny how much you take on/learn from your spouse in the course of your marriage?? You could probably pour an entire floor of an enormous building at this point in your marriage LOL!

Chelle Y. said...

Wow, the things you can learn by reading one's blog! :)

Now, if a new man comes into my life and says, "I worked with a power screed today," I will know what he means.

"Oh, please, God, let a man say "power screed" to me, PLEASE!" :)

Susan's 365 said...

Very cool story and photos of the restaurant.

Mary said...

great pictures for a great story. that's what this is all about, right?? :0)

Unknown said...

That is such a cool memory!