Thursday, January 10, 2008

January 10, 2008

Going Green

So, one thing we've been trying to do lately is "Live Green." We're not freaks about it in any way, shape or form. But we're trying to do what we can in terms of saving energy, saving the planet, etc. This week, I switched out a bunch of our regular light bulbs for the high-efficiency ones. I put three of them in the pendant lights above our kitchen island, since our kitchen lights are pretty much kept on from morning until night. These suckers are supposed to last 5 years, so we'll see how that goes. And if they reduce our energy bill, like their supposed to, well then, I'm a happy camper.

(And the fact that they're a cool, funky shape is just an added bonus.)

8 comments:

LotoFoto said...

I've heard those are great bulbs to switch out to. We're swapping out old ones w/them one at a time as they burn out. Really cool pic!

Emily said...

Cool picture!

I tried one of those when I first moved in to this house(a year ago) because I wanted a 'bug light' on my porch and they were the only kind the store had in stock -see I am only green-by- laziness, and that sucker has not burned out yet...been a year, and sometimes(frequently)I forget to turn off my porch light for a day or two(or more..I know) at a time. I've been slowly replacing other household bulbs with them, now.

Tiffany said...

That is a great picture! We have all of those bulbs in our house too, they do last longer than normal bilbs.

Renfield said...

What a cool picture! We burn through bulbs like crazy. I'll have to check some of those out. Do they come in different sizes - like could I put them in our ceiling fan fixtures?

Jenn said...

We started replacing our light bulbs with those. I hope they last longer because I get tired of changing light bulbs all the time.
Great picture!

Jenn said...

We started replacing our light bulbs with those. I hope they last longer because I get tired of changing light bulbs all the time.
Great picture!

Anonymous said...

Hi, just wanted to comment and ask if you heard the "latest news" about these lightbulbs? Well, now they are saying that they can be dangerous if they are broken due to the murcury content inside. So, just a warning, be careful...Then again is milk still a good thing or a bad thing? LOL

Allison said...

LOL Anonymous. First of all, thank you for the info. And yes, I've heard. But I did some research and looked into it and there are just as many reports/articles/etc. saying that the mercury content is WAY overblown and not dangerous at all as I have saying it is. [sigh] For now, we're going to go this route and hope to god we never break one. LOL! ugh.